Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Peach Crisp (in a jar!)



 

It's peach season here in Texas!  Yippeeee!!!  Know what that means?  It means you buy a bag or two from peach farmers on the side of the road (near Fredericksburg of course) and then you eat as many as you can only to be left with more peaches than you know what to do with...  
So what do I do?  Start baking. 
Problems: #1, my husband is grain-free, and #2, he doesn't like peaches.  Something about a peach tree in the backyard as a child and his mom told him he was allergic to them (so as not to have him climb the tree and eat all the peaches...).  As a mom I laugh and say, 'Smart woman.' As a wife with lots of leftover peaches I say, 'Shoot...'  Thankfully our 1.5 year old daughter LOVES them!  So I figured I'd make a jar of a kind of peach cobbler/crumble/crisp thing that she and I could share!  It turned out incredible.  

I don't have a lot of options for baking/cooking as usual since we're still in the apartment and most of our kitchen stuff is packed away in the storage unit(s) (insert sad face here).  What I DO have are jars.  Only two sizes though.  Big and bigger.  I used the smaller of the two for this (pint) and it was perfect for the two of us girls to share. Plus, I love jars and I use them for whatever I can (iced coffee, baking, flower vase, storing foods etc). I started with this recipe from Boulder Locavore and then varied it a bit. 
For me this is more of a crumble/crisp than a cobbler just because it's not doughy.  I'm not a big crust fan in pies and desserts to begin with so this is the perfect amount of crumbliness with gobs of delicious filling.

Ingredients:
Peachy Goodness:
1 3/4 cups chopped peaches (which was about 2.5 peaches for me)
1 1/2 T lemon juice 
4T brown sugar
2T flour 
Crumbly Topping:
1/4c old fashioned oats
2T flour
1/4c brown sugar 
3T melted butter
1 teas. cinnamon
splash of vanilla

 Directions:

Cut your peaches into small chunks and put in a medium sized bowl.  Add your lemon juice, brown sugar and flour. Mix well, then spoon into your jar.


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
 
Mix up your oats, flour, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon and vanilla until everything is moist and squishy.  Spoon the topping over the peach filling in the jar. Press it down a little if need be. 

Once your oven is preheated, place the jar inside (on a cookie sheet in case of spilling over) and bake for about a 35-40min.  You'll know it's done when you see the peaches 'talking'...  This means bubbling and hissing a little; the topping should look a little crunchy and brown.  

Let it sit on the counter to cool for at LEAST a half hour before you dive in with a spoon.  Then once you've devoured about 1/3 of this delicious crisp, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  AMAZING combination - seriously - you'll thank me later.  Enjoy!  


























No comments:

Post a Comment